HMRC is responsible for collecting around £468 billion of tax from UK businesses and individuals, and for administering National Insurance, Student Loans, tax credits and compliance with the minimum wage.
Impacting on every single person and business in Britain, their work is vital to the financial well-being of the economy, and helps the government fund its many programmes and initiatives. It calls for a large and diverse team of people, and Tax Professionals are at the heart of what HMRC do.
Tax Professional Development Programme
The intensive four-year programme includes core modules designed to equip you with essential knowledge, alongside job-specific modules related to your particular role. Modules cover both technical (tax) knowledge and the professional skills you'll need to apply that knowledge effectively and deal efficiently with your customers.
Tax Professional Role
Tax is a complex business offering a varied and stimulating range of career pathways and opportunities to specialise - for example, in international and corporation tax, investigation, fraud, policy or as a manager, technical specialist or consultant. Eventually you will find your own niche, but along the way you will learn how to resolve tax disputes, lead teams, deal with senior business figures and allied professionals (eg lawyers) and how to tackle complex tax work.
Roles are diverse and you could find yourself:
- making 'site' visits and interviewing Board directors, their lawyers and accountants
- negotiating settlements and resolving tax disputes
- representing HMRC at Appeal Tribunals
- investigating fraud
- working as a consultant, offering specialist advice to teams across the business
- leading your own teams of tax professionals
- considering and agreeing the application of tax statute and case law
- taking responsibility for managing the relationship between HMRC and key businesses and their advisers
More information: SUMMER INTERNSHIPS IN PUBLIC SECTOR
More information: GRADUATE SCHEMES IN PUBLIC SECTOR