Construction: A - C
- AECOM. They design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. They generally recruit more than 350 graduates, from a wide range of disciplines, including civil, structural, mechanical, electrical, planning, surveying, project management, building services, sustainability, ecology, environmental, water, geography, science, energy and many more.Opportunities exist within each business division which includes; Architecture, Building Engineering, Construction Services, Design Planning, Economics, Energy, Environment, Government, Mining, Oil Gas, Program Cost Consultancy, Program Management, Transportation, and Water. They provide a range of training and mentoring programs to help you progress, whether through on-the-job training, secondments, work placements, or training courses. In addition, they have an in-house training function – the AECOM Academy – established to provide continuous professional learning for AECOM staff. As soon as you join, you'll be enrolled in the graduate development program. You’ll be given a mentor who will help you achieve full qualification with the appropriate professional institute within a five-year period.
- Aggregate Industries. Following an in-depth induction, you will be given a series of real business projects to work on, which could be based anywhere in the country. Given the size and scope of their operations, the possibilities for opening up a career in construction are significant. To support the ‘hands-on’ experience you gain during your projects, which normally last around 6 months each; you will also receive a structured training plan to develop you both personally and professionally. Aggregate, recruit from a range of academic disciplines including Engineering, Geology, Geography, Environmental Science, Quantity Surveying, Business (supported by technical interest).
- Amey. They offer two graduate programmes; Graduate Pathways Programme (minimum of 2.2 required) and Graduate Management Development Programme (minimum of 2.1 and 6 months work experience). The former allows you to specialise in engineering, surveying or commercial. On this two-year programme you’ll work on a variety of real projects getting hands-on experience at the same time as developing your skills. You’ll be offered various job specific and technical training, plus business modules and personal and career development.
The Graduate Management Programme is a fast track management programme which will give you the opportunity to network with and be mentored by senior management and provide you with the skills you need to move into a management role after the two-year programme. You will rotate around the business (and the country) in placements lasting from 6 weeks to 12 months, to gain an overview of how the organisation works, working in three distinct roles: bidding (how Amey win work); commercial (how Amey make money from their contracts) and operations (how they fulfill the work they promised in their bid). On-the-job learning is complemented by personal development courses, for example, presentation skills, commercial awareness and career development, plus management training courses such as the Institute of Leadership & Management Level 3 Certificate in First Line Management; change management and business improvement.
- Arcadis. is a leading global Design & Consultancy firm for natural and built assets. They provide design, consultancy, engineering, project and management services to clients. They offer a range of graduate roles including building surveyor, project management, cost consultancy, management consultant, development manager, design engineering, highways engineer, water engineer, rail engineer and environmental business. They recruit graduates & Post Graduates from all disciplines who have at least a 2:1 equivalent, not just those with a surveying /construction-related degree.
- Balfour Beatty. If you have an engineering or construction degree, there are opportunities within Engineering (civil, electrical, mechanical, building services), Building/Construction Management and Quantity Surveying. There are also opportunities in the following areas: transportation Planning, Environmental-Related, Facilities/Service Management, HR, Health, Safety & Environmental Management, Finance, Bid Management and IT. You will need at least a 2.2 degree. Depending on the business area you join, most of our development schemes lead to professional qualifications. Engineering, Construction and Quantity Surveying graduates will work towards accreditation from one of the major engineering institutions (ICE, IMechE, IET, CIBSE) or CIOB, RICS or ICES.
Find out more about how to prepare for the job assessment process for Balfour Beatty HERE .
- BAM. They recruit graduates on an annual basis for a variety of positions across construction and project management, quantity surveying, civil engineering, structural engineering, architecture, design management and environmental management.
- Barratt. They are one of the UKs largest house builders. They offer 2 progarmmes -accelerated lasting 1 year and Aspire lasting 2 years. There is both a sales and construction prgramme in the 1 year acelerated scheme. Their Aspire programme lasts 2 years and is open to graduates of any discipline although they prefer degrees related to the built environment. You will be mentored by one of their managing directors during this time. In year one you will undertake 2 six-month rotations giving you an all round insight into the business. In year 2 you will specilaise - the projects will be longer, the challenges greater, the experience more focussed and intense. You will also receive support for study for professional qualifications such as RICS, CIMA, CIOB, where appropriate.
- Bechtel. A global leader in engineering, procurement, construction, and project management. Their portfolio encompasses energy, transportation, communications, mining, oil and gas, and government services. They offer a four year graduate programme. In the first two years, you could be working on major projects anywhere in the world.
- Berkeley Group. They develop residential-led, mixed use schemes under brand names such as St George, Berkeley, St James and St Edward. The Berkeley Graduate Scheme offers graduates an opportunity to gain invaluable hands-on experience in the development process within one of the following divisions: Berkeley, St Edward and Berkeley First. They generally recruit graduates with degrees in planning, real estate, property development, quantity surveying, construction, engineering or architecture. You will join one of the Berkeley Group operating companies, working within a specific department. A graduate role typically lasts for two years and you will be given support and training to develop in your role. Their offices are in London, South Bucks and Surrey.
- Bouygoues. They offer a graduate development programme.
- Carillion. Their 2-year Graduate Programme is designed to put you through your paces, coached and supported by a personal mentor. The programme is tailored to you, your role and where you are in the organisation. Carillion will support you if you want to go for Chartered status, gain other professional qualifications, even an MBA. You could work anywhere in the UK, including London, and on projects in Europe, Canada, The Caribbean or Middle East. And wherever they work, they are involved in the local communities. You might find yourself going into schools, supporting a local Wildlife Trust or sitting down with residents to find out what they think about a planned project.
You could find yourself designing, planning, building, maintaining or managing some of the most creative and essential spaces in the world. You could be based in Carlisle, Croydon or anywhere in between. Some of the disciplines that you could work in, include: civil engineering, quantity surveying, building surveying, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, facilities management, finance, sales & marketing, procurement, project management, land surveying, nuclear engineering, environmental engineering, property management, HR, finance and architecture/design. You will need at least a 2.2 degree and a degree in engineering, quantity surveying, architecture (part 2) or HR.
- Carter. R G Carter is a family owned business with a network of offices based throughout the Central and Eastern regions of the UK. They provide design, sustainable, partnered construction and project management services for private and public sector clients on projects ranging from £50 to over £50 million. You need a construction related degree to apply for their graduate positions.
- Caterpillar. They have opportunities in various disciplines, including Engineering (various areas); IT; Finance; Sales & Marketing; Supply Chain; Purchasing and HR Opportunities vary by location with facilities in Peterborough; Stafford; Leicester; Wolverhampton; Bracknell, Solihull, Shrewsbury, Wimborne, Peterlee and Northern Ireland. Depending on your chosen discipline, the Graduate Scheme offers rotations in different departments and functions in order to provide you with a range of experience and knowledge. Consequently at the end of the Scheme you will have an excellent grounding in your chosen field. Caterpillar offer support and financial assistance towards achieving a professional qualification within your chosen discipline. For engineers who are looking to become chartered, the Graduate Scheme is aligned with the MPDS programme. Caterpillar also own Perkins.
- CH2M Hill ( acquired Halcrow). CH2M HILL provides full-service engineering, procurement, construction, management, & operations, and works on some of the most challenging and inspiring projects — all across the globe. They offers hundreds of entry-level opportunities—no matter what your field is.
- Costain. They recruit between 35 and 50 graduates each year and of these up to half are sponsored or offered work experience during their degree. They are interested in civil, chemical, electrical, mechanical engineers, land surveyors and quantity surveyors. Their graduate scheme covers 11 diverse disciplines, from civil engineering, quantity surveying and chemical engineering through to English and business management. It is a 3 year accredited scheme.
- Countryside. There are two programmes under the Graduate Management Training Programme: The Generalist Programme is designed for trainees who may have a non-relevant degree or who may have a relevant degree, but are unsure as to which career path to take. This programme will involve spending six months in the core areas of the business such as Land, Development, Construction and Sales and Marketing. The specialist programme is tailored to your chosen career and the requirements of relevant professional bodies. Specifically designed for trainees who are interested in one area and have a degree relevant to it, for example in Town Planning, Surveying and Construction Management. You will spend the majority of your time within the relevant department, but will spend a few months in the other core areas of the business to ensure you have a broad knowledge of the Group.
- Crest Nicholson. The Crest Nicholson Graduate Development programme aims to take on up to ten graduates every year with two being placed in each of its business divisions. The recruitment programme is not just limited to Land Graduates but also aimed at Technical, Commercial and Trainee Site Management. With the aim of providing a comprehensive understanding of every aspect of both the Crest business model and the wider industry, you will undertake a one to two year learning and development programme rotating across every discipline of the business, from Land Acquisition, Planning, Design and Development through to Production and Sales and Marketing. At the end of the rotation period a decision, made jointly between you and Crest Nicholson, will be taken as to which Department the Graduate you will finally be placed in.
- Croudace Homes Group. They offer a structured graduate training programme which includes working in each core area of the business before moving onto the department relevant to a particular career interest. They encourage the achievement of chartered status as well as the training of apprentices in building skills, and have entered into approved training partnerships with the Chartered Institute of Building and the Institution of Civil Engineers.
Construction: D - L
- Galliford Try. They offer trainee roles in frontline site management, planning, estimating, quantity surveying, buying, land development, design and sales and marketing. You will follow structured professional training schemes that provide the necessary experiential knowledge and understanding and also meet the requirements of the key industry professional bodies, leading to membership of CIOB, RICS, ICE and ICES. You will work towards academic qualifications and rewarding careers whilst following a structured training framework relevant to your role.
- Gleeds. They offer a structured Assessment of Professional Competence (APC) programme, as well as extensive on-the-job coaching and mentoring from senior professionals. They require a construction related degree.
- Interserve. There are a variety of graduate opportunities in civil engineering, construction management and quantity surveying disciplines. They recruit around 30 graduates each year and are looking for people who have achieved a 2:2 or above in one of the above disciplines. Along with your relevant degree they are ideally looking for graduates who have some relevant industry or site experience, who are practical, creative and who can work in a multi-functional team environment. Whatever route you choose to take Interserve will support you to achieve chartered status of the relevant professional institution. Technical routes can lead to operational roles such as Site Engineer and eventually Project Manager, while the commercial route will see you contributing to the financial success of projects through estimating, financial control and supply-chain management. You will liaise closely with clients, negotiating and influencing decisions.
- ISg. In the UK they offer a flexible graduate scheme which is tailored to develop each graduate to the level of Assistant Manager within an 18 month to two year period. ISg offer real on site experience which builds on the theory learnt at university.The schemes provide quarterly reviews and an assigned mentor. Attainment of the appropriate professional qualification, CIOB, RICS etc is actively encouraged and supported.You are eligible to apply if you are graduating in Construction Management, Quantity Surveying, Building Services or other similar construction related degrees.
- Kier. They offer two development programmes for graduates from either a construction related discipline or for those interested in business management. The Construction Management Programme is tailor made to your individual needs and experience. Your time will be divided between being on-site and in the office, as required, working on a variety of projects to ensure you get a broad base on which to build your career. You will spend a defined amount of time in various departments (such as Business Development, Procurement, Health and Safety, etc.) to give you an overarching view of the company. In addition, you’ll also join an Action Learning Group and Projects, working as part of a team on a project, where you will present your findings to a panel of senior management on topics such as environmental impact, commercial awareness and customer focus. A new project is set every six months and these will count towards chartered status at your institute of choice: Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB), Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) or the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE).
The Kier Business Management Programme is a two-year programme through Kier Support Services that focuses on the business management side of our business. The programme is structured around obtaining a Diploma in Leadership and Management in line with the Chartered Management Institute, enabling you to reach management level and beyond within the group in a diverse number of roles. Your programme will be tailored individually to yours and the department’s needs, and you’ll also rotate to other functions (including on-site visits so you get to appreciate the bigger picture). They are looking for anyone who’s excelled in any of the following areas that shares in a passion for construction: accountancy; architectural; technology; building services engineering; general management; business development/marketing; facilities management; housing; IT; land buying; surveying and planning.
- Laing O'Rouke. They offer a flexible development programme lasting between two and four years, depending on the speed of your progress. They are looking for bright and committed graduates in Building Services Engineering Mechanical and Electrical, Civil Engineering, Commercial, Construction Management, Planning, Procurement and Business Functions (Finance, Legal, HC, IT). You will gain in-depth knowledge of the industry through a series of work placements, complemented by accredited seminar-style workshops. You will also be mentored throughout the programme by experienced leaders within the business. For the engineering roles, they seek graduates from civil, mechanical, electrical, building services and geotechnical engineering, architecture and manufacturing. Engineering graduates will have ideally completed MEng degrees so as to fast-track to full professional membership, For commercial services, they want commercial graduates will have completed RICS-accredited courses and for Construction Management they require graduates who have completed a CIOB-accredited course.
Construction: M - Z
- Mace. They are an international consultancy and construction business and for three years running they have been ranked as the best company for graduates to work for in the construction and civil engineering sector. They offer a two-year graduate programme which enables you to specialise in one of a number of disciplines, while gaining experience of the whole property lifecycle by working closely with other teams. There are a range of graduate programmes including: busilding surveying, sustainability, construction management, facilities management, project control, project management, quantity surveying and risk management. Opportunities exist in Birmingham, Bristol, London, Manchester and Winchester. You preferably need a RICS accredited Building Surveying degree to apply.
- Miller. The Miller Group is a major UK property business, specialising in housebuilding, commercial property, construction and integrated asset management services. They offer 2 graduate pathways: Business and Technical. All the technical roles are within the construction division. The commercial opportunities would be of interest to applicants who have studied Quantity Surveying or Construction Management. The environmental opportunity would be of interest to applicants who have studied either, Construction or Environmental Management. The operations opportunities would be of interest to applicants who have studied Construction Management, Project Management or Civil Engineering and the services opportunities would be of interest to applicants who have studied Building Services, Engineering or Facilities Management. The business positions accept applicants from a multitude of disciplines – whether you studied a degree from the Built Environment, Business Management, Engineering or Life Science faculties.
- Mitie. Their Graduate Leadership Programme is a twelve-month experience-based training programme, covering a number of different business areas. They specialise in strategic outsourcing and energy services and also have a range of specialist services.
- Morgan Sindall. Morgan Sindall Group plc is a leading UK construction and regeneration group, operating in the public and commercial sectors, through five divisions of construction and infrastructure, fit out, affordable housing, urban regeneration and investments.There are opportunities for formal graduate programmes across the Morgan Sindall Group at Lovell, Morgan Sindall Property Services, Morgan Sindall Construction and Infrastructure or Morgan Sindall Professional Services.
- Network Rail. They offer programmes in civil engineering, rail vehicle engineering, electrical and mechanical engineering, finance (four major placements), information management, project management (two six-month placements), contracts & Procurement (18 months), property (30 month programme) and strategic planning (2 year programme). The engineering programmes are all four year, where the first -24 months is spent on three or four different placements. The next 24 months is chosen to suit your own business requirements. Locations around the UK, with Finance based in Manchester.
- NM Construction. They run a national graduate scheme. As a NM Group graduate you will follow a development programme that will equip you with the skills needed to become a specialist in your chosen field. Most of their graduates choose go on to professional chartership, such as CIBSE, CICES, CIHT, CIOB, CIPD, ICE, IET, IMechE, RICS which NM Group fully supports. They recruit graduates from the following technical disciplines: electrical, civil or mechanical engineering, construction, business studies, design, marketing, HR, IT and quality/enironmental studies.
- Persimmon. If you are a graduate with a Planning degree, Persimmon offer Trainee Planner opportunities. Supporting their new and future developments, you will assist with strategic land acquisitions and play a key role in preparing and managing planning applications. If you have a construction-related degree, opportunities exist as a Trainee Site Manager. You will experience all day-to-day site activities including the ordering of materials, organising and co-ordinating the build programme, liaising with contractors and ensuring good health & safety practices. The experience you will gain, together with the on-the-job training will equip you to take control of your own site. Other opportunities include trainee designers and quantity surveyors. As a Designer you will assist with the preparation of layouts and planning applications. Some experience of CAD is desirable. Quantity Surveyors play an important part in the process and ensure costs are kept under control. Persimmon particularly want to hear from you if you have a degree in Surveying or another construction discipline.
- Redrow Group. This construction programme is an intensive two-year introduction to Redrow’s building process, designed to give talented graduates the skills and understanding to manage the construction of our award-winning homes. Based on site, you’ll gain hands-on experience of the entire build process from start to finish. This 24 month programme will see you gaining exposure to virtually every aspect of Redrow. You’ll complete placements in Land, Technical, Construction, Sales, Commercial and Customer Service, with the chance to specialise in two areas in your last year. All the while, you’ll be mentored by a Managing Director. You’ll also spend some time with other key head office functions including marketing, HR, IT, Finance and Legal to further increase your business awareness.
- Sir Robert McAlpine. The Graduate Development programme provides you with initial training over a five-year period following graduation. Delivered in a modular format, it is tailored to reinforce your developing competency and influence within the project teams. You’ll also attend specific training courses to suit your individual needs particular to your role and responsibility. In addition, you will be enrolled onto a Professional Development Programme and assigned a mentor who will offer advice and guidance as you follow one of our approved routes to membership of a professional body. Their Professional Development Programme is approved by the Institution of Civil Engineers, the Chartered Institute of Building, the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers.
- Skanska. They are part of one of the largest construction and development services group in Europe, and behind some of the most high-profile and technically challenging projects in construction. They have graduate positions within engineering for: civil engineer, design engineer, geotechnical engineer, engineering surveyor. Within the operations area, there are opportunities for construction survisors, planners, and BIM technicians and within the commercial deparyment for quantity surveyors and buyer. In the central funstions opportubities exist within HR, IT, Health & Safety, Finance and Environment. You'll benefit from a combination of early responsibility and structured development, including practical and financial support, to work towards a relevant professional qualification.
- Tarmac. Leading building materials and construction company with 400 sites across the UK. There are a range of opportunities.
- Taylor Wimpey. Their Graduate Management Scheme has been developed for graduates within the following academic disciplines: Construction, Quantity Surveying, Architecture, Planning, Engineering, Sales & Marketing, Land and Finance. The scheme comprises a 2 year rotational programme, spending time in all areas of the business including; production, commercial, technical, sales, customer care, land and finance. You will undertake a rigorous development programme including formal management skills training whilst gaining ‘hands on’ experience in all aspects of the business. Following completion of the programme, with guidance, you will choose from one of the following career paths; Production, Commercial, Technical, Land or Finance. Their aim is to equip to enable ambitious individuals to achieve director status within a 5 year time-scale after completion of the rotational programme.
- Thomas & Adamson. They are an international construction and property consultancy. Graduates are allocated to teams where experience is gained on a wide variety of projects from inception to completion. They have Uk offices in Edinburgh, Glasgow, London and Manchester and a number of overseas offices in the Middle East and Eastern Europe.
- Turner & Townsend. They offer three programmes: Project Management, Cost Management or Management consultancy. Locations are London, Bristol, or Birmingham. They offer a structured graduate development programme that combines formal training with practical. They do not specify a degree discipline.
- Vinci Construction. They preferably look for graduates with construction-related degrees. To enter the graduate training scheme you would be expected to have completed a work experience placement and have been sponsored in your final year at University.
- Wates Group. Wates is a family owned construction services company. They offer 3 management trainee programmes, namely:: commercial management for those interested in quantity surveying, production managment for those interested in site or project management and production managment (building services) for those with a degree in mechanical or electrical engineering where you will train to become a building services lead. All the programmes are 2-3 years in length.
- Wilmott Dixon. The Management Trainee Scheme recruits, on average, 30-40 trainees annually within a variety of construction disciplines, including Site Management, Quantity Surveying, Estimating, Buying, Design & Build and Business Development. They also have trainees within the support functions of Finance, IT and Human Resources. They are interested in Graduates with an industry related degree who have either completed a year’s industrial placement or relevant work experience and also graduates with a non-industry related degree, who want to move into construction. The training period is 2-3 years.